The Nigerian Army has confirmed three soldiers were killed during the attack on troops of 7 Guards Battalion on Sunday by suspected terrorists in Bwari axis of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
While there were conflicting reports about casualties in the attack, the Assistant Director, Army Public Relations, Guards Brigade, Captain Godfrey Abakpa, said three soldiers died in the encounter.
Abakpa said that no soldier was missing in action or abducted by the terrorists, adding that the casualties had been evacuated.
He also said that the troops had dislodged the criminals from the area and had continued on exploitation operation into the area.
He said “no soldier was abducted; we only had three casualties and they were evacuated”.
Daily Global Newspaper had reported that the death of the officers was hushed so as not to embarrass the Muhammadu Buhari regime whose repeated promises to end insecurity have been unfulfilled in his seven years of governance so far.
“They said even the staff in the school should not be allowed to know what is happening because it will embarrass the government,”
Intelligence reports had confirmed that the terrorists were planning to attack Law School Bwari and other government facilities.
However, military sources have told NAN that the attack was a confirmation of terrorists plan to lay siege on FCT, adding that the security agencies were at alert.
Earlier on Monday, the Guards spokesperson confirmed that troops of 7 Guards Battalion on routine patrol along Kubwa – Bwari road were ambushed by suspected terrorists.
Abakpa added that three soldiers were injured during the attack and had been evacuated to hospital for medical attention.
According to him, ambush attack happening within the general area of Bwari shows that the terrorists are actually within the location and possibly to carry out their plans of attacking the law school in Bwari as earlier reported. (NAN)